Carrot Cake II with Cream Cheese Frosting - (Silver Palate)
This cake was THE classic cake at The Silver Palate shop, from Manhattan, in the late 70's. This item was a shop staple.
- Cream-Cheese Frosting - recipe follows:
- 3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups corn oil
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups shelled walnuts, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups pureed cooked carrots
- 3/4 cup drained crushed pineapple
- confectioner's sugar to dust top
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 6 Tbsp sweet butter, room temp
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9-inch layer cake pans lined with wax paper.
2. Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Add oil, eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Fold in walnuts, coconut, carrots and pineapple.
3. Pour batter into the prepared pans. Set on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until edges have pulled away from sides and a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
4. Cool on a cake rack for 3 hours. Fill cake and frost sides with cream cheese frosting. Dust top with confectioner's sugar