Spicy Chicken-Corn Chowder
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 medium red sweet peppers, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion (2 medium)
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeño chile peppers, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large Yukon gold potatoes, chopped
- 2 cups fresh sweet corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- jalapeño chile pepper slices (optional)
In a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside. Drain off all but 1 tbsp drippings from pot.
Add chicken to bacon drippings. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until chicken is no longer pink; remove from pot. Add sweet peppers and onions to pot; cook and stir until tender. Add chopped jalapeño pepper and garlic; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Stir in flour; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add broth and potatoes. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or just until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken, corn, cream, cayenne pepper, and bay leaves. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaves.
Ladle chowder into bowls. Top with bacon and, if desired, jalapeño pepper slices.
Per serving: 396 cal; 23g fat (12g sat fat); 105mg chol; 826mg sod; 26g carbs; 3g fib; 23g pro.
You'll also love
- Mushroom-Dill Chicken Rolls 3.9/5 (10 Votes)
- Lemon Chicken with Herbed Rice 3.9/5 (14 Votes)
- Pulled Pork Soup 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Buffalo Chicken and Bleu Cheese Dip 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- New England Clam Chowder 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup 4.3/5 (31 Votes)
- Manhattan Clam Chowder 4.4/5 (8 Votes)