Chocolate Chiffon Valentine Cake
Everyone will be feeling the love this Valentine's Day with this rich and velvety chocolate chiffon cake!
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 15 small fresh strawberries, halved
- Fresh mint, optional
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 50mins
Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line two greased 9-in. heart-shaped pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a small bowl, combine cocoa and water until smooth; cool.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, oil, vanilla and cocoa mixture. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended.
In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form; fold into chocolate mixture.
Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350°F for 18 to 20 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely; carefully remove waxed paper.
In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form; reserving 1 1/2 cups. Spread remaining frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Spoon reserved frosting into a pastry bag with a star tip. Pipe a decorative lattice design on cake top and sides. Garnish with strawberries and mint if desired. Refrigerate until serving.
You'll also love
- Copycat Spicy Queso Blanco... 4.4/5 (32 Votes)
- Corn-Cheese Casserole 4.6/5 (25 Votes)
- Milky Way Cake 4.6/5 (25 Votes)
- Rice Krispies Treat Neapolitan Cake 4.6/5 (25 Votes)
- Braised Brisket with Bourbon-Peach... 4.6/5 (25 Votes)
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie 4.4/5 (40 Votes)
- Boozy Spice Cake 4.5/5 (31 Votes)
- Guinness Chocolate Cake with... 4.4/5 (35 Votes)