Pepi's Lemon Chicken
- 2 split (1 whole) boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 extra-large egg
- 1/2 tbsp water
- 3/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- Olive oil
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp, divided
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons), lemon halves reserved
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Garnishes: sliced lemon and parsley
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
2. Place each chicken breast between two sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap and pound out to 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
3. Place three shallow plates next to each other. Mix flour, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper in first plate. Beat egg and 1/2 tbsp of water together in second plate. Place breadcrumbs in third plate.
4. Dip each chicken breast first in the flour mixture (shake off excess), next in egg mixture and then bread crumb mixture.
5. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large sauté pan over medium heat. Add chicken breasts and cook for two minutes on each side, until browned. Place chicken on sheet pan and bake for 5-10 minutes.
6. For the sauce, wipe out sauté pan with dry paper towel. Over medium heat melt 1 tbsp butter. Add lemon juice, wine, reserved lemon halves, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Boil over high heat until reduced in half, about two minutes. Remove sauté pan from heat. Add remaining 2 tbsp butter and swirl to combine. Discard lemon halves.
7. Serve 1 chicken breast on each plate. Spoon sauce on top of chicken. Garnish with slice of lemon and parsley.