Citrus Beurre Blanc
- Juice of one Grapefruit
- Juice of one Orange
- Juice of one Lemon
- Juice of one Lime
- 6 sprigs of Thyme
- 2 T white peppercorns
- 3 Shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 Cup heavy cream
- 1 lb unsalted butter diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 About 1 T Salt to taste
- 1 Pinch of cayenne
1. Combine the first 7 ingredients in a stainless steel pot and place over a low flame. Bring the citrus juices to a low simmer and reduce them down to about 2 fluid ounces of liquid (1/4 cup), about 10 minutes.
2. Add the heavy cream and reduce again to about a quarter cup of liquid, about 5 minutes.
3. Increase the heat to medium high and, while shaking the pan over the heat and whisking continuously, add the butter piece by piece until all the butter has emulsified into the citrus juice and cream reduction.
4. Immediately pass through a strainer into a small pot, pressing hard on all the ingredients in the strainer to push through as much sauce as possible.
5. Adjust the seasoning with salt and cayenne. Hold in a warm place or in a bain marie (steam bath) until service.
* The sauce may break if not kept warm enough until service.
** As a precaution, the sauce should be made as close to service as possible.
*** This sauce cannot be refrigerated and reheated.