Zucchini Herb Casserole
"I've been making this casserole for almost 20 years and it's always a hit. Even my meat-eater husband likes it. Serve with a crusty French bread or soft breadsticks. Leftovers are great in an omelet the next day."
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, cubed
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups seeded, chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 55mins
1.Combine the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, until rice is tender.
2.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a shallow 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
3.Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the zucchini, green onions, and garlic 5 minutes, or until tender. Season with garlic salt, basil, paprika, and oregano. Mix in the cooked rice, tomatoes, and 1 cup cheese. Continue to cook and stir until heated through. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
4.Bake uncovered 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 265 | Total Fat: 17.5g | Cholesterol: 40mg