Dessert Misc: Strawberry Shortcake Sliders
- 2 1/2 cups white spelt flour plus more
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup organic vegetable shortening (or butter)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk plus more for brushing
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 3 tablespoons agave syrup (nectar)
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled, halved
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup (nectar)
- Balsamic vinegar
- Whipped cream
- special equipment
- 2 "-diameter biscuit cutter
- ingredient info
- Agave syrup (nectar) and white spelt flour are available at better supermarkets and at natural foods stores.
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Preheat oven to 475°. Whisk 2 1/2 cups spelt flour and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Using fingertips, blend in the shortening; form a well in center of mixture. Whisk 1/2 cup buttermilk, yogurt, and agave in a small bowl; pour into flour mixture; stir with a fork to blend. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface. Knead 2 or 3 times to bring dough together. Press dough into a 3/4"-thick round. Using biscuit cutter, cut the dough into rounds. Gather scraps; repeat cutting until all dough is used. Place the biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet; brush with buttermilk.
Bake until golden brown and a tester inserted comes out clean, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.
Mix strawberries and agave in a medium bowl. Drizzle vinegar over; toss.
Cut biscuits in half. Place 3 biscuit bottoms on each plate. Spoon whipped cream over each and top with strawberry mixture. Place biscuit tops over