Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup
Creamy enchilada soup is perfect when you are craving Mexican food. Shredded chicken with a broth made from tomatoes and seasonings, mixed with cream cheese to make it creamy and delicious!
- 4 to 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, about 1 pound
- 1/2 cup canola oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 soft corn tortillas, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 quart College InnChicken Broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Del Monte Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies, drained
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- Fried tortilla strips
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
Adapted from Pinterest.com
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place chicken in 8×8-inch glass baking dish. Brush with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Shred cooked chicken meat with 2 forks and set aside.
Heat remaining oil in small skillet. Add tortilla strips in 2 batches; fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes each batch. Drain on paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon oil for Step 4.
Heat reserved 1 tablespoon oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 to 60 seconds, stirring constantly. Do not brown garlic. Add chili powder and cumin; stir and cook 15 to 30 seconds.
Quickly stir in lime juice, lime zest, broth, tomatoes, and diced chilies. Bring mixture to a boil, and reduce heat to simmer. Add cream cheese. Simmer until cream cheese is melted.
Stir in shredded chicken, cook about 5 minutes.
Ladle into individual soup bowls, and garnish with tortilla strips, cheddar cheese and green onion.
You'll also love
- Gluten Free "KFC" Popcorn Chicken 4.4/5 (71 Votes)
- Linguine Pesto with Italian... 4.4/5 (54 Votes)
- Mario Batali's Penne alla Vodka 4.1/5 (87 Votes)
- Better than Olive Garden Zuppa... 4.5/5 (52 Votes)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Stuffed... 4.3/5 (58 Votes)
- Chicken Florentine Soup 4.9/5 (9 Votes)
- Red Pozole with Chicken (Pozole... 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Potsie's Creamed Chicken and... 4.4/5 (61 Votes)