Mandarin Orange and Almond Salad
- 1/2 cup white slivered almonds
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, broken into bite size pieces (red leaf lettuce works too)
- 3 T. sugar
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 whole green onions, chopped
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, broken into bite size pieces
- 1 (11oz.) can Mandarin oranges, drained
Adapted from keyingredient.com
In a small pan over medium heat, cook almonds and sugar, stirring constantly until almonds are coated and sugar dissolved. Watch carefully as they will burn easily. Almonds will be golden or light tan in color when cooked. Store in air-tight container.
Mix all dressing ingredients and chill.
Mix lettuces, celery and onions. Just before serving add almonds and oranges. Toss with the dressing.
½ tsp. salt
2 T. sugar
dash of pepper
2 T. vinegar of choice
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 T. chopped parsley (or 1 tsp. dried)