Spiced Orange Cake
This cake is moist and soft with a light crunchy coating on top and sweet and spiced oranges on the side. It is heavenly, to say the least. Each bite is like a taste of Autumn
- ORANGE CAKE:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Juice of Spiced Oranges (Recipe as follows below)
- Spiced Oranges
- 2 oranges - zested, peeled, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mixed berry marmalade
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- CRUMBLE TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup oats
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from livingthegourmet.blogspot.com
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter an 8-inch cake plate and set aside.
In a small bowl mix together all ingredients for the spiced oranges. Strain and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Save the juice of the spiced oranges for the cake.
In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda and baking powder. Using your stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add the egg and milk until well incorporated, then gradually add the dry ingredients until the batter becomes smooth and thick. Lastly, fold in the strained juice of the spiced oranges.
Smooth batter into the cake plate and evenly top with crumble. You may have some leftover which is always perfect to use for morning muffins or another cake. Just store the leftover crumble in an air tight container.
Bake for about 35 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
In a small bowl whisk confectioner’s sugar and milk until a nice thick glaze forms. Drizzle this over the cake and let set.
Serve with chilled oranges and of course, enjoy.
You'll also love
- Hobo Hamburgers 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Maple Oatmeal Raisin Cookies 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Pumpkin Pie 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Caramel Fruit Dip Recipe 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Celery Salad with Lemon & Parmesan 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Qdoba Lime Cilantro Rice 3.9/5 (88 Votes)
- Red Velvet Cake 4.2/5 (32 Votes)