Charleston Shrimp Perloo
Try this delicious Charleston Shrimp Perloo recipe.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds extra large shrimp
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 5 springs fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspooon minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes, 14.5 ounces
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add shrimp shells, 1 c. onion, 1/2 c. celery, and 1 teaspoon salt and cook stirring occasionally, until shells are spotty brown, about 10 minutes. Add water, peppercorns, parsley, and bay leaves. Increase heat to high and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain shrimp stock through fine mesh strainer set over large bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible; discard solids.
Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bell pepper, remaining onion and celery, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until vegetables are beginning to soften, 5-7 minutes. Add rice, garlic, thyme, and cayenne and cook until fragrant and rice is translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and their juice and 3 cups shrimp stock (reserve remainder for another use) and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
Gently fold shrimp into rice until evenly distributed, cover, and continue to cook 5 minutes longer. Remove pot from heat and let sit, covered, until shrimp are cooked through and all liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Serve.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (888 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (892 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Easy & Healthy Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (194 Votes)
- Garlic Shrimp 4.5/5 (182 Votes)
- Blackened Grilled Tilapia 4.5/5 (148 Votes)
- Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (140 Votes)