- 4 1/2 pounds fully ripe gooseberries
- 1 cup water
- 7 cups sugar
- 1 box Sure-Jell fruit pectin
First prepare the juice. Thoroughly crush, one layer at a time, or grind about 4 1/2 pounds gooseberries. Place in saucepan and add 1 cup water. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Place in jelly cloth or bag and let drip. When dripping has almost ceased, press gently. Measure 5 1/2 cups into 6- or 8-quart saucepan.
Then make the jelly. Measure sugar and set aside. Mix fruit pectin into juice in saucepan. Place over high heat and stir until mixture comes to a full boil. Immediately add sugar and stir. Bring to a full rolling boil and boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and skim off foam with metal spoon. Ladle quickly into hot sterilized jars, filling to within 1/8-inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Invert jars for 5 minutes, then turn upright. After 1 hour, check seals.
This recipe yields about 8 cups.
You'll also love
- Roasted Veal Chops with Grapes 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Roasted Goose with Crispy Skin 4.6/5 (36 Votes)
- Gooseberry Smoothie Recipe 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Zucchini Pimento Relish 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Whole Cherry Preserves 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Scuppernong Grape Butter 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Blackberry Jam With Liquid Pectin 3.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Castellane Pasta With Sausage,... 0/5 (0 Votes)