Tuna Noodle Casserole with Cream Cheese
- 1 can(s) mushroom pieces
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 , 12 oz. pkg egg noodles, no-yolk variety (i use large)
- 1/4 c butter
- 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 c milk
- 1 pkg 8 oz. cream cheese
- 2 can(s) tuna, packed in water
- 1 can(s) small can peas, drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 c grated sharpe cheese
- french onions to sprinkle on top of casserole
1. Sauté mushrooms, garlic, onion and green peppers in fry pan. Put aside. Cook the 12 oz. large bag of noodles in salted water; drain.
2. Melt butter in large fry pan and blend in flour. blend together. Add milk slowly, cooking and stirring constantly. When sauce is thick and smooth, blend in cream cheese. Then add cooked noodles, and lastly the whole can of tuna with water, peas, peppers, onion and mushrooms combination. Season with salt and pepper to taste; pour into a large 9 x 12 greased baking dish. top with sharp cheese and then sprinkle French onions or breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese on top.
3. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
Note: Make sure noodles are done before making sauce. The sauce gets too thick if it sits while waiting for noodles to cook. Make sure the sauce is really creamy before baking, if not it will be too dry when it is baked. To make sauce more creamy, add more milk to give it a good consistency. I like this recipe because it is made with cream cheese instead of cream of mushroom soup