Low-fat quick breads like this delicious Persimmon loaf really benefit from being allowed to cool completely, which is why they often taste better the next day. The crust, which is chewier than breads with oil, will gather moisture and softness over time.
- 1 1/4 cups persimmon, mashed pulp
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup agave nectar (or substitute 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons water)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup raisins (may use up to 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional–may use up to 1/2 cup)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from blog.fatfreevegan.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Lightly oil a loaf pan or bundt pan.
In a small bowl, mix the persimmon, lemon juice, apple sauce, and agave nectar. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, except for raisins and walnuts. Pour the wet into the dry and mix just until all flour is moistened (do not over-mix). Fold in the raisins and walnuts, if desired.
Pour into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40-50 minutes. (My bundt pan took closer to 40 minutes.) Allow to cool for 10 minutes and then remove from the pan. Cool completely before serving.
Note: Low-fat quick breads like this really benefit from being allowed to cool completely, which is why they often taste better the next day. The crust, which is chewier than breads with oil, will gather moisture and softness over time.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s) | Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
You'll also love
- Peach Cobbler Cheesecake 4/5 (11 Votes)
- Big Boy's Strawberry Pie 3.7/5 (18 Votes)
- Simple & Perfect Beef Tenderloin -... 4/5 (13 Votes)
- Strufoli - Italian Honey Balls 3.8/5 (42 Votes)
- Garlic Rosemary Monkey Bread 4/5 (14 Votes)
- South Beach Phase One Friendly Egg... 3.6/5 (38 Votes)
- Lemon Almond Poppyseed Muffins 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Fuyu Persimmon Pie 4/5 (2 Votes)