PERSIMMON BREAD II
This bread is a cross between gingerbread and pumpkin. Nice and spicy. This would be delicious served warm with Ice Cream. Also, whipped cream, Devonshire cream, or Hard sauce on a cooled cake.
- 1 cup persimmon pulp
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (or more) chopped walnuts
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 75mins
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three 6 x 3 loaf pans. (or in the picture I used paper bread pans, I might give these out as gifts)
2. In a large bowl, stir together the persimmon pulp and baking soda. Let stand 5 minutes to thicken the pulp.
3. In a medium bowl, combine sugar, oil, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Blend until smooth. Mix in persimmon pulp and water alternately with flour. Fold in nuts. Divide batter into the prepared pans, filling each 2/3 s full.
4. Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.