Glazed Pumpkin Spice Cake
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) spice cake mix
- 1/2 cup Argo® Corn Starch
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® pumpkin pie spice
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup Mazola® Vegetable Plus! Oil
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dates OR raisins
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) original or light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup Karo® Light OR Dark Corn Syrup
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Additional orange peel for garnish (optional)
Adapted from karosyrup.com
1.Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 10 x 4-inch (12-cup) fluted tube cake pan; set aside.
2.In large bowl combine cake mix, corn starch, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Add pumpkin, orange juice, oil and egg whites. With mixer at low speed, beat until combined; then beat at medium speed 3 minutes. Stir in dates. Pour into prepared cake pan.
3.Bake 55 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
4.FOR GLAZE, in small bowl beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup Karo® syrup, brown sugar and grated orange peel until smooth. If necessary, add 2 to 3 teaspoons milk or orange juice to make desired consistency. Drizzle over cake. Garnish with additional orange peel.