Stick-to-Your Ribs Beef, Onion, and Mushroom Stew
Original recipe from Paula Deen The Deen Family Cookbook
- 3 pounds, beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 10 ounce mushrooms, quartered, not sliced
- 2 large Spanish onions, halved and thinly sliced
- One 12 ounce DARK beer
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
Adapted from adventuresinfood123.blogspot.com
1. In a large skillet, working batches if necessary, brown the beef with 2 Tbsp of the butter over high heat, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the beef to the slow cooker and toss it with the flour, salt, and pepper.
2. Melt another 2 Tbsp of butter in the skillet and cook the mushrooms, turning them once, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer the mushrooms to the slow cooker and toss them with the beef.
3. Melt the remaining 2 Tbsp of butter in the skillet and cook the onions for about 3 minutes, until softened. Transfer the onions to the beef mixture. Pour the beer into the skillet and simmer, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour the beer over the beef mixture and stir in the garlic, brown sugar, mustard, lemon juice, thyme, bay leaves, and cloves.
4. Cook for 8 hours on low. Remove the bay leaves and serve hot.
*** My note: serve with mashed potatoes or noodles and your favorite vegetable. The stew is very rich if served alone.
You'll also love
- Cheesy Ravioli Bake 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Hazelnut Pumpkin Seed and... 4.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Turkey & Cranberry Quesadillas 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Parmesan Onion Party Puffs 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Egg Mushrooms 4.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Scrambled Eggs with Potatoes and... 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Mushroom Casserole 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Sweet Onion BBQ Burgers Recipe 4.7/5 (10 Votes)