French Cabbage Soup from Door County, WI
"This recipe is a popular soup served at the Summer Kitchen near Ephraim, WI. It is thick and delicious. I've modified it somewhat by adding the thyme and pepper for even more flavor. It freezes very well."
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 quarts chicken broth - homemade
- 1/4 lb Polish sausage, diced
- 1 cup potato, raw,peeled and diced
- 1 head chopped cabbage ( about 1 lb)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- You can adjust this recipe a bit by adding two teaspoons of herbes de Provence, a pkt of dried onion soup mix and another tsp of thyme
Make a white roux with 6 tbsp butter and 1/2 cup flour by melting the butter in a medium skillet, stirring in the flour and simmering 3- 5 minutes while stirring constantly.
Melt 2 tbsp butter in a stock pot, or Dutch oven.
Add diced onions and carrots.
Saute until tender.
Add chicken broth, diced polish sausage, diced potatoes and chopped cabbage to the pot.
Stir and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add white roux, thyme, salt and pepper to the pot.
Stir until smooth.
Simmer for 20 minutes.