Fettuccine with Chicken, Zucchini and Mushrooms
I designed this recipe in an effort to create a cream sauce that was lower in fat than what we usually find out there. You can also substitute margarine for the butter to reduce the fat content further.
It's important to use low-fat evaporate milk versus non-fat, as non-fat products tend to be higher in sugar (and sometimes calories) to make up for the flavor.
Recipe was a big hit in my house, hope it is in yours, too.
- 1 box of Fettuccine, whole grain if available
- 1 stick of butter or margarine (low-fat), divided in half
- 8 oz of mushrooms, sliced (or finely diced if you like a stronger mushroom flavor)
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 T dried, crushed parsley
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt (if desired)
- 2 zucchini, sliced thin
- 1 12-oz can low-fat evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 6 oz package of Tyson grilled diced chicken -OR- dice and grill your own, about 6-8 oz worth (1 breast)
Prepare fettuccine according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
In a large sauce pan, melt 1/2 stick butter over medium high heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, parsley, oregano, pepper, and salt. Cook until mushrooms are soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add sliced zucchini and cook for 2 minutes more. Reduce heat to medium and add evaporated milk and parmesan cheese, stirring frequently for about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low. Continue stirring for another minute; sauce will first darken, then lighten significantly as milk heats up. Stir in room-temperature or warmer grilled chicken, and stir entire mixture for an additional 3 minutes.
Remove sauce from heat.
Add drained fettuccine to sauce and combine, coating the pasta thoroughly.
You'll also love
- Cream Chicken over Biscuits 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Chicken Fried Skirt Steak with... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pollo al Carciofi (Chicken with... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Zucchini Whoopie Pies 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Eggs - Portobello Mushroom and... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Rigatoni a la Vodka, Chicken and... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Zucchini-Artichoke Casserole 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Chicken with Mango... 0/5 (0 Votes)