Apple Pear Crumble
- For the streusel:
- Recipe: Apple-pear crumble
- Melissa Clark
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 11 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- For the filling:
- 3 pounds mix of apples and pears, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brandy or dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 2-quart gratin or shallow casserole dish.
2. For the streusel, mix together the flour, sugar, salt and spices. Drizzle in the melted butter and use a fork to stir up the streusel until the mixture is crumbly. Break up any large crumbs (larger than 1-inch) with your fingers.
3. In a large bowl, mix together all of the filling ingredients. Pour filling into the baking dish and top evenly with the streusel. (Crumble can be assembled the day before and refrigerated.) Bake until the streusel is golden and crisp and the fruit juices are bubbling, about 45 to 55 minutes.
4. Serve crisp warm or at room temperature.