ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE AND CORN CHOWDER
"This is a slightly spicy, smoky, hearty corn chowder. The recipe was given to me by a dear friend many years ago and the original source is unknown. I have adapted it to suit my family's tastes. If you prefer a thicker chowder, you can stir in a can of creamed corn. Serve this with cornbread or a crusty French loaf for a lovely meal, enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound andouille sausage, diced
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook and stir onion, celery, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper in the hot oil until softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir garlic, cayenne pepper, and diced andouille sausage into the onion mixture; continue to cook and stir until the sausage is hot, 1 to 2 minutes more.
Fold corn kernels and bay leaves into the sausage mixture; season with thyme. Allow the mixture to simmer until the corn is warmed, about 1 minute.
Pour chicken broth into the pot; bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook at a simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
Stir potatoes and heavy cream to the pot, place a cover on the pot, and continue cooking at a simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Season the chowder with salt and black pepper.
Remove and discard the bay leaves.
Garnish with cilantro to serve.
You'll also love
- Lemon Snowdrops 4.3/5 (11 Votes)
- Warm Butternut Squash Salad with... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- BEEF FAJITA 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Baked Potato Pizza 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Asian Beef Skewers 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Moroccan Cornish Game Hens 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Reboot - Meal - Roasted Acorn... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Bow Ties with Sausage & Sweet... 3.4/5 (7 Votes)