Strawberry-Rhubarb Meringue Pie
- Strawberry Rhubarb Meringue Pie
- Recipe courtesy Georgia Downard
- Pate brisee, recipe follows
- Egg wash, made by lightly beating 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cornstarch, depending upon the juiciness of the fruit
- 3 tablespoons black raspberry liqueur (recommended: Chambord)
- 4 large egg whites
- Pinch cream of tartar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar, or to taste
Roll out the dough 1/8-inch thick on a floured surface and fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Crimp the edge decoratively and prick the bottom with a fork. Chill for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Line the shell with waxed paper and fill the paper with raw rice. Bake in the lower third of the oven for 15 minutes. Remove the rice and paper carefully and brush the shell with the egg wash. Bake the shell for 15 minutes more, or until golden. Let it cool on a rack. The shell can be made 1 day ahead and stored, covered loosely, in a cool, dry place.
In a large bowl let the rhubarb macerate with 3/4 cup of the granulated sugar for 1 hour. In a saucepan combine the rhubarb mixture with the cinnamon and cloves and bring to a bowl. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is almost tender. Add the strawberries and simmer, stirring, until the rhubarb is tender.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Show # CL9720