Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato and Chicken Stew
I made this with mashed potato and green beans for Sunday dinner. It was nice--and with the nonfat yogurt instead of cream as in the original, it was healthy too.
- 800 g chicken breasts, cubed
- 8 slices of bacon, fat removed and roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 400 g (14 oz) tinned chopped tomatoes
- 300 g small button mushrooms, halved
- 250 ml nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp. lemon thyme
Put the chicken, bacon, garlic and tomatoes in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the chicken is nearly tender. Add the mushrooms and cook for another hour or two until mushrooms are cooked through.
If needed, remove some fluid with a baster. Add the yogurt, parsley and thyme, stir through and serve with mashed potato and vegetables.