Asparagus Soup with Red Pepper Sauce and Lump Crabmeat
- 2 1/4 pounds fresh thin asparagus, tough ends discarded
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Red Pepper Sauce, recipe follows
- 1/4 pound lump crabmeat, garnish
- Red Pepper Sauce:
- 1 red bell pepper, about 8 ounces
- 4 1/2 teaspoons minced shallots
- 5 fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Cut 16 tips from the tops of the asparagus and reserve for garnish. Cut the remaining asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces.
In a medium sized, heavy pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the asparagus, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and white wine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the asparagus are very tender, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus tips and blanch until just tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and refresh in an ice bath.
Add the cream to the soup and bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
Transfer the soup in batches to a blender and process on high speed until very smooth. Remove from the heat and ladle into 4 large soup bowls. Swirl the Red Pepper Sauce in a decorative pattern over the soup in each bowl. Spoon 1 tablespoon of crabmeat into the center and arrange the blanched tips around the crabmeat. Serve immediately.
Red Pepper Sauce:
Roast the peppers by placing them on an open gas flame, turning them frequently with tongs until all sides are charred black, about 7 to 10 minutes. (Alternately, the peppers can be roasted under a broiler, or on top of a gas or charcoal grill.) Place the blackened peppers in a plastic or paper bag, and let rest until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Peel the peppers, remove the seeds and stems and roughly chop.
Combine the peppers, shallots, cilantro, basil, garlic, crushed red pepper, vinegar, salt, and pepper in the bowl of food processor or blender, and process for 20 seconds. With the machine running, add the oil through the feed tube in a steady stream and process until thick and smooth. Drizzle into the Asparagus Soup, and transfer any remaining into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Yield: about 3/4 cup
You'll also love
- Steak with Roasted Red Pepper and... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Spanish-Style Snapper with Roasted... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Ottoman Empire Burger with Roasted... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Grannie's Deep Dish Apple Cobbler 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Greek Salad Potato Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Crab And Shrimp Mold 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Asparagus Hors D'oeuvres 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Dungeness Crab With Basil San... 0/5 (0 Votes)
Review this recipe