Steak with Roasted Red Pepper and Mushroom Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms OR: other dried mushrooms
- 4 club steaks, 1 inch thick (each 4 to 5 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup finely chopped shallot OR: white part green onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms OR: cultivated mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (13% ounces) beef broth
- 1 large sweet red pepper, roasted, peeled and sliced* OR: 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon leaf thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives OR: green onion tops, for garnish (optional)
Bring water to boiling in small saucepan. Add dried mushrooms and remove from heat. Let stand 20 minutes. Drain mushrooms through sieve lined with double thickness of dampened paper toweling; reserve soaking "quid. Remove and discard any tough stems. Slice mushrooms.
Pat steaks dry with paper toweling. Season with salt and pepper. Heat 1/2 tablespoon butter and the oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add steaks; cook 1 to 2 minutes on each side for rare(or to your liking). Transfer steaks to platter.
Pour off fat from skillet. Heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic to skillet; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add dried and fresh mushrooms; cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Add wine; boil 1 minute. Add broth, reserved mushroom soaking liquid, red pepper, tomato paste and thyme; simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
Add steaks to skillet; simmer until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with chives, if you wish.
'Note: Broil pepper about 5 inches from heat, turning frequently, until charred on all sides, about 15 minutes. Place in paper bag and close. When cool enough to handle, core, seed and peel.
STEAK WITH ROASTED RED PEPPER MAKE-AHEAD TIP:
The sauce can be prepared separately a day ahead and refrigerated, covered. Saute steaks as directed. Heat sauce, add steaks and simmer until heated through.