Cream of Mushroom Soup
Feast on this recipe and you may never again open a can of cream of mushroom soup! A touch of sherry and fresh thyme enhance the earthy fresh mushroom flavor.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound large white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 ounces dried mushrooms, such as porcini or lobster
- 1 1/2 cups dry sherry
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 (12-ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup nonfat half-and-half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from qvc.com
Heat oil in a 6 to 8 quart stockpot over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic. Sauté until the shallots have softened, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté until they begin to sweat and the moisture starts to evaporate.
Add the sherry, broth and fresh thyme. Bring to a simmer and cook 15 to 20 minutes. Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
Purée the mixture in batches with a blender until smooth.
Return the soup to the pot set over medium heat. Add evaporated milk and half-and-half. Return to a simmer, cook for a minute or two until hot.
Add salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.
You'll also love
- Pineapple Cilantro Cucumber Shake 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Bacon-Bourbon Apple Pie 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Almond Crumble Cherry Pie 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Black Beans with Mushrooms 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Mushroom Barley Pilaf 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Butternut squash and Parsnip soup 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Potato and Ham Soup 4.7/5 (3 Votes)