Pan-Fried Hatch Chile Crab Cakes
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 4 scallions, green parts only, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup Hatch peppers, peeled, seeded and chopped (I don't put these in)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs (approximate)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable or peanut oil for frying
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
Using a rubber spatula, gently mix first seven ingredients in a medium bowl, being careful not to break up lumps of crab.
In a separate bowl, whisk egg and fold into the crab mixture. Add bread crumbs, folding gently. Make six balls (you may need more bread crumbs to hold wet mixture together).
Place balls in a shallow dish, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
Just before cooking, remove cakes from refrigerator.
Place panko in a hallow dish and dredge each cake in the flaked crumbs, pressing slightly on each ball to create a cake.
You may need to pack the panko on the cakes to adhere. Gently shake off excess.
Heat oil in a large skillet, over medium-high heat.
Gently place cakes in skillet and pan-fry until outsides are crisped and brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.
Drain cakes on a paper towel and serve immediately.