Seared Scallops, Fennel Salad, Kumquat-Tarragon Vinaigrette
- 1 cup olive oil plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 kumquats stemmed, quartered, and seeded
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 medium fennel bulbs thinly sliced (abt 5 cups)
- 1 medium radicchio head quartered, and thinly sliced - (abt 4 cups)
- 4 green onions thinly sliced (abt 3/4 cup)
- 24 large sea scallops - (abt 1 3/4 lbs)
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
Puree oil, kumquats, and tarragon in processor. Add vinegar, orange juice concentrate, and mustard; process until just combined. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before continuing.)
Combine fennel, radicchio, and green onions in large bowl. Add 3/4 cup vinaigrette; toss to combine.
Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add 12 scallops and sauté until golden on both sides and just opaque in center, about 3 minutes total. Transfer sautéed scallops to large plate, then tent with foil. Repeat with remaining butter and scallops.
Divide salad among 8 plates. Place 3 scallops on top of each. Drizzle scallops with remaining vinaigrette and serve.
This recipe yields 8 first-course servings.
You'll also love
- Greek-Style Braised Lamb Shanks 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Bulgarian Beef Stew 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Casserole 4.3/5 (20 Votes)
- Caramelized Brussel Sprouts with... 4.1/5 (26 Votes)
- Paleo Lobster Eggs Benedict with... 4.3/5 (17 Votes)
- GRILLED SHRIMP WITH GARLIC (GAMBAS... 4.3/5 (17 Votes)
- Pan-Grilled Scallops on Green Salad 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Veal Scallopini - 4.4/5 (8 Votes)