Sweet Potato Black Bean Casserole
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (cook in the microwave for about 3-5 minutes, to soften)
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup salsa, divided
- 2-4 tortillas, depending on size (corn, flour, sprouted, gluten-free or whole wheat)
- 4 oz. shredded cheese, use vegan as desired (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from hungryhealthygirl.com
◾Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with a natural cooking spray; set aside.
◾In a large bowl, combine diced sweet potato, black beans, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, chili powder, garlic salt, and cinnamon.
◾Spread ½ cup salsa on the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange a tortilla on top, ripping into strips to get the right fit. Spoon a large layer of sweet potato/black bean mixture over tortilla strips. Spread the remaining ½ cup salsa over the sweet potato/black bean layer.
◾Add one more layer of tortillas and then add the rest of the sweet potato/black bean mixture over the tortilla layer. Top with cheese, if using.
◾Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes and until cheese is melted and top is slightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve. Top with additional salsa, cilantro, and/or avocado, if desired.
You'll also love
- Bacon Wrapped Cream Cheese Stuffed... 4.2/5 (31 Votes)
- Caramelized Brussel Sprouts with... 4.1/5 (26 Votes)
- Banana Chocolate Chip Baked... 4.1/5 (30 Votes)
- Fried Mashed Potato Balls 4.3/5 (17 Votes)
- Italian Style Potato Latkes 4.3/5 (17 Votes)
- One-Pan Baked Chicken & Sweet... 4.3/5 (17 Votes)
- Split Pea Soup 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Camotes Enmielado - Candied Sweet... 4.4/5 (11 Votes)