Bulgarian Beef Stew
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 10 garlic cloves minced
- 8 bay leaves
- 3 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck cut 1 1/2" cubes
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon dried summer savory
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups beef stock or canned broth
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon butter room temperature
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and bay leaves. Sauté until onions are golden, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Add to pot. Add paprika, lemon peel, savory and cayenne pepper; stir until meat is coated. Add stock and wine. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until meat is very tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
Using slotted spoon, transfer meat to bowl. Mix butter and flour in small bowl until smooth paste forms. Add to cooking liquid in pot, whisking constantly. Simmer until cooking liquid thickens to sauce consistency, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Return meat to sauce. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.)
Cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain. Transfer to large bowl.
Bring stew to simmer. Spoon over noodles. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.