cake - apple-carrot breakfast cake
- 2 cups sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup palm sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 cup egg white substitute or 6 egg whites or 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 apples, quartered (leave the peels on)
- 1 cup of carrots, peeled and chopped (about 3 medium carrots)
Adapted from simplysugarandglutenfree.com
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare an 8×8 baking pan with cooking spray.
Whisk together sorhgum flour, palm sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and xanthan gum until evenly combined.
Place egg whites, vanilla, apples, and carrots into the VitaMix. Start on low and quickly increase to Variable 10 while using the tamper to push the apples and carrots into the blades. Switch to High and blend for 20-3o seconds until thoroughly mixed. It will be thick.
Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients by hand. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean.
Top with freshly whipped cream, homemade yogurt, or cream cheese frosting.