Cuban Black Bean Patties with Pineapple Rice
You can prepare the patties in advance up to the point of dredging them in cornmeal; cover and refrigerate. Purchase precut, fresh pineapple in the produce section to save time.
From Cooking Light Magazine
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag long-grain rice
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups rinsed, drained canned black beans (1 [15-ounce] can), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
To prepare rice, cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain; place rice in a large bowl. Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pineapple; sauté 4 minutes or just until pineapple begins to brown. Add pineapple mixture, cilantro, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to rice in bowl; cover and keep warm. Wipe pan clean with paper towels.
To prepare patties, place 1 1/2 cups beans, garlic, cumin, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a bowl; partially mash with a fork. Place 1/2 cup remaining beans and egg white in a food processor; process 30 seconds or until well combined. Add bean puree to mashed beans in bowl, and stir until combined. Add cheese and onion to bean mixture; stir until combined. Divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Place cornmeal in a shallow dish. Dredge both sides of each patty in cornmeal.
Heat pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Spoon about 1/2 cup rice onto each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1 patty and 1 tablespoon sour cream.
You'll also love
- Smothered Sirloin Steak in Parm... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Blueberry Pie with a Twist 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lemon Kissed Chicken salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Curried Sweet Potato-Apple Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Red Oak Leaf Lettuce with Apples,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Simple Beef Chili with Kidney Beans 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pineapple-Coconut Mahi-Mahi 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pineapple fudge 0/5 (0 Votes)