Pork Burgers with Sauerkraut & Gruyère
Tired of beef hamburgers? Of course not. But if you're feeling like a burger and have some ground pork, try this delicious recipe!
- 1/2 pound bacon, about 9 slices
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, lightly crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 4 slices Gruyère
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- Dijon mustard to taste
- 8 slices seeded or marble rye bread, toasted
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from finecooking.com
Cook the bacon in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally with tongs, until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat. Transfer the bacon to a cutting board with a slotted spoon, let cool slightly, and chop into small pieces. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the skillet.
In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the bacon, ground pork, caraway seeds, and nutmeg with your hands. Form into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
Return the skillet to medium heat. When the bacon fat is hot, add the burgers and cook for 6 minutes. Flip the burgers, cover the skillet, and continue to cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into a burger registers 160°F for well done, about 5 minutes more. Turn off the heat, top each with a slice of the cheese, cover, and let sit until the cheese has melted, about 1 minute.
Meanwhile, heat the sauerkraut in a small saucepan over medium heat until warm. Build burgers on toasted rye bread, top with sauerkraut, and serve.
You'll also love
- Agave and Whisky-Glazed Sweet... 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- COCONUT-ALMOND-CHOCOLATE CHIP... 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Greek Style Baked Pork Chops 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Almond Pork Chops with Honey... 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Smoked Salmon Pasta 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Creepy Kitten Cupcakes 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Har mee, A Malaysian Prawn Noodle... 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Spicy Beef & Pork Burgers with... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)