Creepy Kitten Cupcakes
You're so lucky if you cross paths with these black (and orange) cat cupcakes, they're decadent and spooky all in one!
- Black, orange, or purple cupcake liners
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa
- 3/4 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1/2 cup(s) milk
- 1/4 cup(s) canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup(s) boiling water
- 1 package(s) (8-ounce) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoon(s) (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1.50 cup(s) confectioners' sugar
- 24 gummy black raspberry candies
- 12 purple miniature confetti sprinkles
- 24 green M&M's
- 84 black and orange jelly beans
- 48 black sprinkles
- Black and orange sanding sugars
- Black edible ink pen
- White candy coating
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Heat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, granulated and brown sugars, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a second bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the milk, oil, egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and mix until fully incorporated. Add the boiling water to the batter and mix to combine (the batter will be thin).
Divide the batter among the lined muffin cups (about 3 tablespoons each) and bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Meanwhile, make the frosting. Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the confectioners' sugar and remaining teaspoon vanilla and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
One at a time, frost the cupcakes (about 2 tablespoons frosting each), then immediately dip in the black or orange sanding sugar to coat completely.
Pinch the tips of the black gummy raspberry candies to form pointed ears; insert in the frosting at the top of the cupcakes. Insert a jelly bean in the frosting for the nose; arrange the black sprinkles around the nose for whiskers. Insert a confetti sprinkle for a mouth.
On the bottom edges of each side of the mouth, insert six black jelly beans into the frosting for the paws.
Using the edible ink marker, draw pupils on the green M&M's, then press the eyes into the frosting.
Melt the candy coating according to package directions. Using a wooden pick, dot the coating on the eyes and on the paws to make claws.