- 3 pints ripe blackberries
- ¾ cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups, plus 1 tablespoon, all-purpose flour, divided
- Grated rind from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons bourbon or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Combine berries, 1⁄2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon flour; toss gently. Add lemon rind and lemon juice, bourbon, cinnamon, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and 3 tablespoons butter; toss gently. Spoon fruit mixture into a greased 2-quart casserole dish.
3. Combine remaining flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in remaining butter with a pastry blender or two knives until texture resembles coarse meal. Stir in buttermilk until mixture begins to hold together. Drop dough by large spoonfuls over top of berries.
4. Place dish on a rimmed baking sheet and bake 45 to 50 minutes, until topping is golden brown and berries are bubbly. Serves 6.