Salad: Kale Salad with Grapes and Quinoa
- 2 tbs. champagne vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. minced shallots
- 3/4 to 1 tsp. kosher salt (use less if you use preserved lemons)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 tsp. chopped chervil or tarragon
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 4 cups loosely packed julienned kale, from 1 large bunch
- 3 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- 2/3 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 1 cooked ear of corn, cut from the cob
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Manchego cheese
- 10 to 12 strips finely julienned preserved lemon
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, shallots and salt; set aside for 20 minutes to soften the shallot. Slowly drizzle in the oils while whisking to emulsify the vinaigrette. Whisk in the chervil and pepper. Add zest. This makes a scant one-half cup vinaigrette; the vinaigrette will keep, covered and refrigerated, up to 4 days.
Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a simmer. Place the quinoa in a strainer and rinse well, then drain, and add to the simmering water. Cook the quinoa until the grains are translucent and tender and the germ has spiraled out from the grain, about 15 minutes (be careful not to overcook). Remove from heat and drain any remaining liquid. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and transfer to a baking sheet to cool. The quinoa can be made ahead of time and stored, covered and refrigerated, up to 3 days before using.
In a large bowl, place the kale and one-fourth cup of the vinaigrette. Using your hands, massage the vinaigrette into the kale until the kale is softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
To the bowl, add the cooled quinoa, the sunflower seeds, grapes, corn and Parmigiano Reggiano, tossing to combine.
Divide the salad among serving plates, evenly sprinkling over the Manchego cheese and garnishing with the preserved lemon strips. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- DORIS AND ED'S LOBSTER BISQUE 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Best Baked Clams 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Starbucks Date Scones Recipe 4/5 (1 Votes)
- CRAB, SHRIMP, AND MUSHROOM DIP 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Onion Pretzels 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Cheesy Harvest Potatoes 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Orange Juice Pecan Cake 3.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Berries and spinach salad.... 4/5 (1 Votes)