Tomato and Mango Salad with Chiles and Tomato Essence
Martha Stewart Living, July/August 2013, Page 166-167.
- 1 Cold small ripe mango, preferably Champagne (about 1 pound)
- 1 chilled Kirby or Persian cucumber (about 5 ounces), cut into Xi-inch- thick half-moons
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered if large, or sliced
- larger tomatoes
- 1 red Thai or serrano chile, very thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 Cup Thai or Italian basil leaves and buds, half roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Coarse salt
- 1 & 1/3 cups cold Tomato Essence (recipe follows)
- TOMATO ESSENCE:
- Active Time: 10 min.
- Total Time: About 1 day
- Makes: 1 to 2 cups
- 1 pound very ripe tomatoes, cored and quartered, or tomato scraps
- Coarse salt
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from marthastewartliving.com
Peel mango and cut flesh from pit; dischard pit.
Cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices.
Toss with cucumber, tomatoes, chile, chopped basil, and oil.
Season with salt and divide salad among 4 bowls.
Divide tomato essence among bowls, garnish with remaining basil, and drizzle with more oil.
Active Time: 10 min.
Total Time: About 1 day
Makes: 1 to 2 cups
pound very ripe tomatoes,
cored and quartered, or
Puree tomatoes and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a blender until smooth, about 1 minute.
Line a colander with 4 layers of dampened cheesecloth and set over a deep pot.
Pour tomato puree into colander, cover with plastic wrap, and Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until 1 to 2 cups tomato water have dripped into pot, about 1 day. Season with salt. if desired.