Vanilla Sea Salted Peanut Cookies
This recipe comes from King Arthur Flour's "The Baking Sheet" newsletter, Spring 2013. If you love a combination of sweet and salty, with notes of vanilla, this is a great cookie for you. I added white chocolate chips and a topping of sea salt (before baking). The oatmeal adds a lovely texture to the cookie.
- 1/4 cup (1 3/4-ounces) vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (1-stick) unsalted butter
- 2 cups (15-ounces) brown sugar
- 2 cups (7-ounces) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups (8 1/2-ounces all-purpose flour (recommended King Arthur unbleached)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons (1-ounce) pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups (8 1/2-ounces) salted peanuts
- 1 1/3 cups (8-ounces) white chocolate chips, optional
- Sea salt, optional
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (or grease them).
In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, butter and brown sugar. Mix in the oats, eggs and vanilla
Whisk the baking soda into the flour, and add to the butter/oat mixture, mixing until combined. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, then mix in the peanuts and white chocolate chips, if using.
Scoop by the tablespoon onto the prepared baking sheets and sprinkle a little sea salt (or coarse salt, optional) on top. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes, until golden brown on the edges.
Remove from the oven and cool on the pans for five minutes before transferring to a rack to finish cooling completely.
You'll also love
- Mom's Vegetable Soup with Ham Bone 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Lemon Curd Custard Ice Cream 4.3/5 (22 Votes)
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting 4.4/5 (30 Votes)
- Cherry Pie Cookies 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Drop Butter Cookies with Variations 4.1/5 (47 Votes)
- Pistachio Cranberry Cookies 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Peanut Butter Chocolate-Hazelnut... 4/5 (35 Votes)