Orange Dreamsicle Layer Cake
- Vegatable Oil Cooking Spray for Misting the Pans
- All-Purpose flour, for dusting the pans
- 1 Package Orange Cake Mix
- 1 Package (3 Ounces small box) Orange Gelatin
- 1/3 Cup Vegatable Oil
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Orange Extract
- 1 Package (8 Ounces) Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Sweetened Flaked Coconut
- 1 1/4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Orange Juice
- 1 Container Cool Whip (Thawed)
Adapted from 2.bp.blogspot.com
1. Preheat oven to 350' degrees
2. Lightly mist three 9 inch round cake pans with vegetable oil cooking spray, then dust them with flour. Shake out the excess flour. Set the Pans aside.
3.Place the cake mix, orange gelatin, oil, eggs, and orange extract in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 1/4 cups water then beat with an electric mixer on low speed until the ingredients are moistened, 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until the batter is well blended and smooth. Divide the batter among the prepared pans smoothing it out with a rubber spatula. Place the pans in the oven side by side.
4.Bake 18-22 minutes. Check with a toothpick. Remove and cool for 10 min. on a wire rack. Invert onto racks and cool 15-20 minutes more.
5.Start frosting. Place sour cream and coconut in a bowl and mix well. Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour to cool.
Remove from refrig. and add powder sugar and orange juice and beat on medium speed until well combined. Fold whip topping into frosting until combined.
6. Assemble and frost cake. Place cake in refriferator for 2 hours until chilled.