Praline Topped Sweet Potato Cookies
- 1 C softened butter
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1/4 C brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 can (15 oz.) sweet potatoes in light syrup, drained and mashed
- 1 large egg
- 1 t vanilla
- 2 C flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 2 T butter (for topping)
- 1/4 C light brown sugar, firmly packed for topping
- 2 T milk for topping; use more as needed
- 3/4 C powdered sugar, sifted for topping
- 1/2 C chopped pecans, toasted
Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, combine 1 C butter, 3/4 C sugar and 1/4 C brown sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Add sweet potatoes, egg and vanilla; blend well.
In a separate medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients while beating at medium speed. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased cookie sheets.
Bake at 375 for 11 to 13 minutes or until golden brown and set. Cool for one minute on baking sheet then remove from sheet to wire cooling rack. Cool 15 minutes or until cooled completely.
For topping, melt the 2 T butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the remaining 1/4 C brown sugar and milk. Add the powdered sugar and stir until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cookies. Sprinkle toasted pecans on top.