Albondigas (Spanish Meatball) Soup
This recipe tastes just like the Albondigas (Spanish Meatball Soup) that I enjoyed at the El Minuto restaurant in Tucson, Arizona.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 of a medium jalapeño, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cloves garlic
- 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 14 1/2 ounce cans chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 80mins
For this Spanish meatball soup, combine the egg, rice, 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, jalapeño, and salt in a large bowl. Add the ground beef and mix together well.
Mold the meat mixture into 1" meatballs and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven pot over medium heat. Add the onion, green pepper, and garlic to the pot. Saute the mixture until the vegetables are tender (about 5 minutes).
Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, and water to the pot and bring the soup to a boil.
Add the meatballs, one at a time to the pot, allowing the soup to return to a gentle simmer between each meatball addition. Partially cover the soup and simmer for 30 minutes. Garnish the soup with chopped fresh cilantro and serve.
You'll also love
- One Skillet Chicken with Lemon... 4.2/5 (34 Votes)
- Three-Cheese Jalapeno Poppers 4.3/5 (30 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Honey Dijon Chicken 4.3/5 (30 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Full Chicken Dinner 4.2/5 (33 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Corn Chowder 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Pork and Rice Meatball Soup 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Albondigas en Chipotle de Tubac 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker BBQ Meatballs Recipe 4.4/5 (20 Votes)