Lemon-Raspberry Ice Cream Bombes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely-grated lemon peel - (packed)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 3/4 cup raspberry sorbet
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- Fresh mint sprigs (optional)
- Lemon peel
Whisk sugar, lemon juice, yolks, peel, and salt to blend in top of double boiler. Place over simmering water (do not allow bottom of pan to touch water). Whisk until mixture thickens and thermometer inserted into mixture registers 160 degrees, about 6 minutes. Transfer mixture to medium bowl. Chill until cold, about 45 minutes.
Beat cream in another medium bowl until cream holds peaks. Fold into lemon mixture in 3 additions. Cover and chill at least 6 hours and up to 1 day.
Line six 3/4-cup custard cups with foil, leaving generous overhang. Slightly soften quart of ice cream in microwave at low setting in 10-second intervals. Measure 1/2 cup ice cream and place in 1 prepared custard cup. Using back of teaspoon and dipping spoon in glass of warm water as needed, press ice cream in even layer over bottom and up sides of cup, creating hollow in center. Place cup in freezer. Repeat with remaining 5 prepared cups. Return remaining ice cream in quart to freezer. Freeze ice cream in cups 1 hour.
Spoon 2 tablespoons sorbet into hollow in center of each cup and pack firmly. Return cups to freezer for 1 hour.
Divide lemon cream among cups, smoothing tops. Freeze 1 hour.
Slightly resoften remaining ice cream in quart container in microwave at low setting in 10-second intervals. Spread 2 tablespoons ice cream over lemon cream in each cup, covering completely. Fold foil overhang over bombes to cover; freeze at least 3 hours and up to 2 days.
Open foil on bombes; turn bombes out onto dishes. Peel off foil. Spoon fresh berries alongside. Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired, and lemon peel.
This recipe yields 6 bombes.
You'll also love
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (769 Votes)
- Strawberry Refrigerator Cake -... 4/5 (286 Votes)
- Mediterranean Lemon Chicken 4.4/5 (174 Votes)
- Chewy Lemon Snowdrop Cookies 4.3/5 (174 Votes)
- Leek And Camembert Tart 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cucumber, Radish, Watercress... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Green Beans With Orange And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apricot Bread Pudding With Caramel... 0/5 (0 Votes)