Angel Food Cake w/Strawberry-Blueberry Sauce
- 2 12 oz containers strawberries, hulled
- 1 12 oz container blueberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup amaretto
- 1 1/4 sifted cake flour (sifted, then measured)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 14 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
Adapted from google.com
Place half of strawberries in medium bowl. Crush with fork or potato masher. Slice remaining strawberries and add to bowl. Add half of blueberries to same bowl. Place remaining blueberries in medium saucepan and crush; add sugar and lemon juice. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves and juices become syrupy, about 4 minutes. Cool. Add to strawberry mixture. Stir in amaretto. Let stand 20 minutes.
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 300 degree F. Sift sifted flour into medium bowl. Combine vanilla, lemon juice, and almond extract in small bowl. Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in large bowl at medium speed until frothy. Add cream of tartar and salt and beat until soft peaks form. Add sugar 1/3 cup at a time and continue to beat until whites are stiff but not dry. Fold in vanilla mixture. Sift flour over in 4 batches, gently folding in each addition.
Spoon batter into ungreased 10" diameter angel food cake pan with removable bottom. Bake until top of cake is golden brown and springy to touch, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Immediately invert center tube of cake pan over neck of narrow bottle and cool cake completely. Using sharp knife, cut around sides of pan and center tube to loosen cake. Holding center tube, lift cake from pan sides. Cut cake free from pan bottom. Turn cake out onto plate.
Using serrated knife. cut cake into wedges. Place on plates. Spoon berry sauce over. Garnish each with whole strawberry, if desired, and serve.
You'll also love
- Coleslaw with Basil and Garlic... 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Spinach & Bean Burrito Wrap 4.5/5 (30 Votes)
- Apricot-Mango Madness Smoothie 4.3/5 (32 Votes)
- Low Carb Chocolate Coconut Bars 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- "Best" Blueberry Muffins 4.6/5 (24 Votes)
- Strawberry Shortcake Scones 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Kristen's Strawberry Icing 4.5/5 (29 Votes)
- Ina Garten's Baked Blintzes with... 4.3/5 (41 Votes)