Soy-Ginger Beef And Noodle Salad With Peanut Dressing
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 3 tea bags of Chinese black tea
- 2/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chopped watercress
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/4 pounds top sirloin steak - (to 1 1/2) cut crosswise
- into 1/4" to 1/3"-thk slices, and then cut into 3" strips
- 3/4 pound linguine
- 1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
- 2 cucumbers - (12 oz ea) peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded
- 8 large green onions halved lengthwise, cut on diagonal into 1" lengths
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1/2 cup roasted salted peanuts coarsely chopped
- Lime wedges for garnish
For dressing: Combine 1 1/4 cups boiling water and tea bags and steep 5 minutes. Place peanut butter in medium bowl. Add 3/4 cup tea, soy sauce, lime juice, and cayenne. Whisk dressing to blend well. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before continuing.) Mix in watercress and mint.
For beef: Combine soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, honey, crushed red pepper, and cumin in large bowl; whisk to blend. Add beef and toss to coat. Marinate at room temperature at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
For salad: Cook linguine in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain. Rinse with cold water; drain again. Transfer linguine to large bowl. Mix in sesame oil. Using vegetable peeler, cut cucumber halves lengthwise into long thin ribbons; arrange on paper towels to drain.
Drain marinade from beef into medium saucepan; boil 2 minutes over high heat. Cool. Heat grill pan or large ridged cast-iron skillet over high heat 4 minutes. Working in batches, grill beef until just brown outside but rare inside, about 1 minute per side. Transfer beef to bowl.
Add cucumbers, green onions, and cooled marinade to linguine. Add dressing and toss to coat. Season salad with salt and pepper. Arrange mint and watercress around edge of large platter. Mound noodle salad in center; top with beef. Garnish with peanuts and lime wedges.
This recipe yields 6 servings.