Brown And Wild Rice With Sausage And Fennel
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage casings removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb - (12 oz) trimmed, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fennel seeds
- 2 large leeks, white and pale green parts only, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/3 cups long-grain brown rice
- 2 cans low-salt chicken broth - (14 1/2 oz ea)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Simmer water and wild rice in small saucepan 20 minutes. Drain.
Heat heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Fry sausage until cooked through, breaking up sausage with fork, about 4 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl.
Add 2 tablespoons oil to same saucepan. Mix in fennel, bell pepper and fennel seeds and saute until tender, about 10 minutes. Add to sausage.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same saucepan. Add leeks and garlic and saute until tender and golden, about 8 minutes. Add brown rice and stir 1 minute. Mix in broth and wild rice. Season with pepper. Bring to boil.
Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 40 minutes. Add hot rice to sausage mixture and toss well. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.) Serve hot.
This recipe yields 2 main-course or 6 side-dish servings.
You'll also love
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.3/5 (950 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (712 Votes)
- Tarragon Roast Turkey With Vermouth 0/5 (0 Votes)
- New England Seafood Chowder 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mashed Potatoes With Green Onions... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta With Butternut Squash And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- French Veal 0/5 (0 Votes)