Cracker Barrel Chicken Fried Steak
These chicken fried steaks are comfort on a plate and a perfect dupe for the Cracker Barrel recipe. The leftover oil plus a little flour also makes a great roux for the oh-so-necessary milk gravy you'll want to pour all over it.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup Bisquick or other buttermilk baking mix
- 2 pounds bottom or top round steak, cut into four portions, pounded well to tenderize
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 150°F.
In a shallow pan or plate, sift together flour, salt, and pepper. In another shallow pan, combine egg and water. In a third shallow pan, place baking mix. Coat steaks in flour mixture, dip in egg mixture, and then coat with baking mix.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add vegetable oil and heat until a drop of water sizzles. Add coated steak pieces, in batches, and fry 4 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown and thoroughly cooked, adding additional vegetable oil between steaks if needed. Remove from pan and keep cooked steaks warm in preheated oven if not serving immediately.
You'll also love
- Crock Pot Beef Stew 4.4/5 (53 Votes)
- Mexican Cornbread Casserole 4.6/5 (37 Votes)
- Olive Garden Chicken Scampi 4/5 (127 Votes)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Stuffed... 4.4/5 (56 Votes)
- ROASTED PRIME RIB 4.6/5 (44 Votes)
- Outback Steakhouse Copycat Recipe... 4.6/5 (40 Votes)
- Chipotle Popcorn Chicken Recipe 4.5/5 (45 Votes)
- Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake 4.6/5 (5 Votes)