Potato Salmon Cakes with Lemon Sauce
Seasoned salmon cakes are pan-fried then topped with a spicy lemon sauce. Delicious flavor combination!
- SALMON CAKES:
- 1 (14.75-ounce) can salmon, drained and flaked
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup dry potato flakes
- 5 saltine crackers, crushed fine
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped or minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup cooking oil, for frying
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of garlic salt
- Pinch of dried dill weed, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
For the Salmon Cakes:
Drain the salmon (reserve the liquid) and pick out the skin, and bones, if desired. Flake the salmon and set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs; whisk in the onion, dill weed, celery salt, garlic salt, and salt and pepper. Add the potato flakes and crushed crackers, give it a little stir and let it set for a few minutes. Gently stir in the flaked salmon. If it seems a bit too dry, add 1 tablespoon of the reserved liquid from the salmon at a time until right consistency to form patties.
Shape the mixture into 5 or 6 patties, about 1/2-inch thick.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium/medium-high heat. Fry patties about 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
For the Lemon Sauce:
Melt butter in a 1-quart saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook about 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Gradually, whisk in the milk and cook until thickened, whisking constantly. (It should come to a low bubble when done.)
Remove from heat and whisk in the lemon juice, salt, garlic salt, dill weed, and cayenne pepper. Serve over hot salmon cakes. (Cover the sauce and keep warm if it making prior to frying the salmon cakes).
You'll also love
- Pineapple Upside Down Bundt Cake 4.7/5 (20 Votes)
- Blooming Onions: Bite-Sized 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Mexican Hash Brown Breakfast... 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Seared Sea Scallops 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Singapore Shrimp Noodles 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Teriyaki Chicken Quesadilla 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Blooming Onion Bread 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Grilled Salmon with Avocado Salsa 4.6/5 (21 Votes)