ZUCCHINI GRUYÈRE SAVORY SCONES
- 3 Tablespoons baking powder
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 3 1/4 Cups AP flour, plus more for surface
- 3/4 Cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold, unsalted butter, diced
- 1 Cup cold heavy cream, plus more for brushing
- 2 Medium zucchini, coarsely grated, excess liquid squeezed out
- 5-6 Ounces Gruyère cheese, diced into small 1/4 inch pieces
- Flaky sea salt (Maldon is nice)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 55mins
Adapted from BON APPETITE.COM
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Whisk baking powder, sugar, salt, pepper, thyme and 3 1/4 cups flour in a large bowl. Add butter, using your fingers to work into the dry ingredients until the butter is about the size of peas. Drizzle the 1 cup of cream into the mixture and use your fingers to distribute it evenly; dough will begin to clump together. Add the zucchini and cheese pieces and gently knead until dough comes together. Try not to overwork it – the less you work the dough, the more tender your scones will be, and we all want tender scones ?
The dough may seem dry, but not to worry, that is where the zucchini magic comes in – releasing a nice amount of liquid during baking.
Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and pat into a 2″ thick disc. Roll out gently to about 1 inch thick with a rolling pin. Using a 3″ biscuit cutter, punch out the scones and place them on a parchment lined cookie sheet about 2″ apart (these guys will spread). Brush tops with the extra heavy cream and sprinkle with a bit of the sea salt.
Bake scones, rotating baking sheet halfway through, until golden brown and thoroughly baked, about 35-40 minutes. Transfer to wire rack, cool and devour!
Hot tip: Let scones rest on the baking sheet for about 20 minutes before baking and they will be taller and more stately when they come out of the oven ?
You'll also love
- Hoisin Turkey Meatballs 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Date Rice Krispies Bars 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Zin Burger Banana Cream Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pumpkin Cream cheese Crumb Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- GARLIC ROASTED TOMATO AND SPINACH... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Roasted Summer Squash (InstantPot) 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Creamy Tomato Basil Zucchini... 0/5 (0 Votes)