Cabbage And Beet Slaw
- 2 medium beets trimmed
- 4 cups thinly-sliced cabbage
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Shredded fresh basil for garnish (or chopped fresh parsley)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wrap beets in foil. Bake until tender when pierced with knife, about 1 1/2 hours. Cool. Peel beets. Cut into 2- by 1/4- by 1/4-inch strips. Place in medium bowl.
Place cabbage in large bowl. Combine cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, grated orange peel and honey in small bowl. Gradually beat in oil. Add caraway seeds. Pour enough dressing over beets to coat. Pour remaining dressing over cabbage and mix. Season both salads with salt and pepper.
Arrange cabbage around edge of platter. Mound beets in center. Garnish with basil and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.