Lemon Glazed Blueberry Scones
Best scones EVER!! Tender, buttery scones bursting with fresh blueberries and finished with a simple lemon glaze. Perfect for breakfast or coffee break!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (1 lemon)
- 4 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut in small cubes
- 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening (can omit and increase the butter to 6 T.)
- 1 1/3 cups fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup whole milk or Half-and-Half
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Rinse blueberries then set aside on paper towels to dry. Blot the top side dry as well. Prepare a floured work surface. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 425° F.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and zest.
Cut in the butter and shortening with a pastry cutter or your fingers until mixture resembles small pea sized crumbs.
Add the blueberries and toss to coat with the flour mixture.
Add the milk and gently stir until the dough comes together and blueberries are well distributed.
Turn dough out onto the work surface and pat into a circle about 3/4" thick. Using a very sharp thin bladed knife, cut the dough into 8 - 10 pie-shaped wedges, cleaning knife off as needed with flour. Place wedges on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Remove from oven and, using the edges of the parchment, carefully slide the paper and scones out of the pan onto a large cooling rack. Cool to lukewarm while you prepare the glaze.
Stir together all the Glaze ingredients until smooth and of medium drizzling consistency. You can add a dab more lemon juice (or water) if it's too thick, or a little more sugar if too thin.
Spoon (or pipe) glaze over the tops of lukewarm scones. Allow a few minutes for the glaze to set before serving.
You can omit the Glaze, if desired, and dust scones generously with confectioners sugar.
You'll also love
- Crispy Butternut Squash Spinach... 3.9/5 (12 Votes)
- Blender Banana Oatmeal Muffins 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Paleo CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRY CAKE 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Mandarin Orange Pretzel Dessert 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Triple Berry Cheesecake Cobbler 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Lemony White Bean Bruschetta 4.2/5 (9 Votes)
- Paleo ‘Hail Merry’ Lemon Tart... 3.9/5 (94 Votes)
- Blueberry Cake 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
Review this recipe